Monday, June 30, 2003

A New Start and A Sad Farewell

The whole dept got treated to an appreciation lunch today. It was held at a nearby hotel as a show of our company’s appreciation of all the effort that we had contributed in the past. I also like to think that this was a gesture of goodwill to smooth out any ruffled feathers from the outsourcing deliberations these past weeks. I have to say that there were times that the discussions got a bit tense for both sides and no doubt that some people may have taken offense to some of the things said. Now that everything has been completed, it is time that will put all of that behind us and start fresh. At least that is the impression that I got from it.

Tomorrow will be a big day. It would be the first day that we officially start our duties with the new company. Good thing that our offices do not get changed or I’ll have to adjust my daily schedule so I can get to work on time. This is really a wakeup call for me to get off my butt and get that driver’s license that I’ve been delaying for quite some time. I can’t continue to depend wholly on others to get me to where I need to go. Anyways … we are expected to attend an orientation briefing at the HQ tomorrow and fill up the necessary HR forms at the new company. I’ve never been to the place so it would be an interesting day tomorrow.

Hopefully I could get a good night’s sleep tonight. I’ve always had this problem that I would always end up tossing and turning in bed whenever I feel anxious about something. I’ve tried almost everything short of sleep medications before and nothing works. I hate for that to happen tonight and I end up with waking up tired and still sleepy. Maybe if I try to really relax myself before I go to bed tonight, it can help me sleep better.

BTW … I just read today that Katherine Hepburn passed away yesterday. She lived to a ripe old age of 96. I will never forget the first time I saw her in “On The Golden Pond” playing opposite Henry Fonda. The image of her as a feisty old woman endeared me to her because it reminded me a lot of my own late grandmother. I’ve never actually seen any of her earlier movies but from what I’ve read about her, she was quite the gal. Her passing will be remembered.

No comments: