Thursday, July 21, 2005

The Last Beam Up

(Image curtesy of StarTrek.com)

Definitely a big news day what with the lifting of the Malaysian ringgit peg to the US dollar, the same happening in China and the new bombings in London late this evening. One piece of news that kinda hit me personally today is the news of the death of James Doohan who played Montgomery "Scotty" Scott in the classic Star Trek show. I actually met him in person while I was in the US at one of his signing session and he was the first actual American celebrity that I have ever met in my life so it was a big thing for me especially when I am such a big Trekkie geek. He shook my hand, asked for my name and asked where I was from. I got an autographed photo of him in his Trek uniform that unfortunately I lost when I shipped my stuff home after graduation. I may have lost the signed photo but I will never forget that Trekkie geek moment of excitement of meeting him in person.

The final frontier awaits you, Scotty. The warp cores are in good hands and transporters buffers are all clear for transport. It’s time for you to beam up.

See you on the flip side.

No comments: