Friday, June 10, 2005

Malaysian Idol 02-03, Airdate: 10/6/2005 - Penang Auditions

(Image courtesy of malaysianidol.bluehyppo.com)

I shamelessly admit that I am a reality-TV junkie. I just can’t get enough of them and I have only myself to blame for that. It all started with MTV “Real World” and now I would literally plan my schedule around the shows that I want to watch. Of course not all reality shows are created equal. The best ones for me are those that would have so much snark potential to be discussed with friends on the next day at work.

Closely following the end of the “American Idol”, the second season of “Malaysian Idol” started 3 weeks ago. I have to say that I was really looking forward for this season after seeing the quality of performance from last year’s contestants. I have to say that to date I have yet see any potential for this past 3 episodes.

I have to give them credit for being brave to go an try out for a chance to fulfill their dream of being a Malaysian Idol. Some were delusional about the level of singing abilities but they were brave to try out. I for one would never consciously try-out for something like this unless they wanted someone who could torture people to death with tone deaf singing. I definitely would not even put my worst enemies through it much less the Malaysian audience.

Having said that, I have to really question the selections of auditions that the shows producers have decided present in the past 3 shows. Though it’s a given that the purpose of these audition shows are to showcase the worst of the worst, I really did hoped that they would balance it out with more of the good auditions. I think to date, they have shown no more than 2 of the good auditions in every show this past 3 weeks. I don’t know how it is with other people but there is only some much aural assault that I can handle before I start tearing my hair out.

And yet I continue watching the show week after week.

I’m such a reality TV ho.

No comments: