Friday, January 30, 2004

New toy for the weekend

I just got a call from the Courts Mammoth folks and was told that the new TV and home entertainment system that I ordered earlier this month will be delivered to my house tonight at 10pm. I am so excited about it that I just can't stop grinning ear to ear because I have been looking forward for this for a long time. I would also be able to make arrangements to move my old system to my parents’ house when I go back to their house this weekend. I’m just tingling with anticipation.

I’m going to go home now and wait for the delivery guys to come but before that these are the answers to this week’s Friday Five:

You have just won one million dollars:

1. Who do you call first?
Somehow this is really a tough one to answer. For one, I want to surprise the people that I would tell about it once I do get the money but I guess I wouldn’t have the will power to really wait that long. If I would pick the first person that I would call if I won a million dollars, I would have to say that it would be my parents and I would tell them that they needed worry about paying their mortgage ever again.

2. What is the first thing you buy for yourself?
The first thing that I would buy for myself would be something obscenely flashy because I feel that I need to ease myself into the idea of having that much money. I would have to say that the first thing that I would buy is a holiday trip overseas for a few weeks while the excitement at home about it dies down a bit.

3. What is the first thing you buy for someone else?
It would be really much of a buy but if I won that much money I would first make sure that all my parents’ mortgage and any debts for us children are paid off in full so they can enjoy their retirement in peace.

4. Do you give any away? If yes, to whom?
I’ve always told myself that I would do this if I had a lot of money. My 2 favorite charities that would get some of this hypothetical money would be the local cancer fund (MAKNA) and the halfway house for abandoned children and old folks at Kuala Lumpur General Hospital.

5. Do you invest any? If so, how?
What ever is left after all this, I would probably invest in the property market either by buying a piece of land or house. I still feel that they are the safest investment around and property seldom ever depreciate with age. I always wanted to have a piece of land to call my own.

BTW ... we would be having our Eid Ul-Adha this coming Sunday so we would have a day off this coming Monday. For those celebrating the Eid, I would like to wish a 'Selamat Hari Raya Aidil Adha' and to the rest (if you're in Malaysia) to have a nice break from work. Spend it with the family.

No comments: