Monday, September 03, 2007

The Merdeka Weekend That Never Was

My Merdeka weekend plans turned out to be a bust.

It was already a bit late when I went back to Selayang on the Merdeka eve for us to find a suitable place to park and join in the festivities. My sister had her own plans at UiTM that night and would not be joining us. Both my brothers had another birthday party to attend in Bangsar for one of their friends. I didn’t know that particular friend so the thought of being the only one at the party not knowing anyone else there was enough for me to not join them there. In the end it was just me, my mum and my nephew sitting in front of the TV to watch the countdown. Of course by the time the countdown started, 2 out of the 3 people watching it was already asleep.

The plan to watch the parades the following day also fizzled out. My dad got back from Terengganu at 3am which was about the same time as my brothers got back. By the time I woke up at 6 the following day, everyone was too exhausted to go which kind of meant that I had to go there myself if I really wanted too. In the end, I just decided that being in the middle of the gazillion people that would surely be at the parade route was too much for me to handle on my own. Went back to sleep and later watch the whole parade on TV in the comfort of my own house. When everybody woke up, we all went for a late breakfast at the nearby mamak shop.

It wasn’t all bad. I did get sometime to spend with the family and my nephew. I also got a chance to send the batik material I bought to the family tailor for my alumni batik shirt. Hope to get that back in about 3 weeks so I will have it ready by the time of my alumni dinner next month. Picked up my monthly shipment of comics from Mind Shop which thankfully was less this month that what I usually have to pay in the previous months. While the amount that I have to pay was less, I still have months of comics in my read pile to go through. I’m just adding to the read pile every month now since I don’t get to go through them as often as I would like to.

I also got a chance to put it some time to my Neverwinter Nights 2 PC game which I have to install on my brother’s PC since it can’t run on my laptop. Even then the graphic performance was too slow and had it not been for the engaging storyline, I would have given it a miss a long time ago. Given the quality of the graphics in this installment of the franchise, I wondered why it demands so much from the hardware. It’s times like thing when I get tempted to spurge on a PC gaming system with the latest AV hardware but then I realize that I have a whole boatload of PS2 games that I have not even touch yet!

September also means that the fasting month is just around the corner. I have to start planning my schedule as I’m hoping to get in some gym time as well the fasting month. Unlike most people, I usually gain weight during the fasting month instead of loosing it. Never could understand why especially I usually watch closely how I eat when I break fast. Hopefully I would be able to change that this year.

That reminds me that I will have to go to the gym tonight to burn off the amount of food that ate during the weekend. It’s so hard to say no to a home cooked meal especially when my mum cooks it.

No comments: