Tuesday, September 09, 2003

Tales of The Supernatural

I’ve always been fascinated by tales of the supernatural and unexplained phenomenon. I don’t know if that it is part of my Aquarian need to believe in something far greater than myself or if it is just me still wanting to believe in the bogeyman under the bed, I have the unexplained need to be scared out of my wits. At least I think I do since I am always on the lookout for scary movies to watch and most often find myself disappointed at the outcome. Maybe the disappointment stems for the knowledge that it was just a movie and not something that happened in real life. The experience that I got from watching a scary movie cannot compare to the atmosphere of experiencing a supernatural event that you cannot explain through logical and rational means.

I have personally experience several occasions when I fell something unearthly hovering near me. At sometimes, this unseen presence feels benevolent in that they seem to guide me away from dangerous places or situations. At other times I feel the sense of malevolent spirits warning me not to come near. When this happens, I have learned to trust my instincts and stay clear of the area. I can’t explain how I know this but my late grandfather did tell me that I’ve inherited some of the second sight that he seen in his grandfather and told me to always trust it. I didn’t put much stock in what he told me but after a while I started noticing things that even people who sit next to me don’t see and over the years I have come to accept the possibility.

The most tangible experience that I’ve gone through on this subject happened while I was studying at my secondary school. The boarding school that I went to had its own share of ghost stories much like other boarding schools in the country. My own personal theory on this is that all the youthful energy and confusion that was generated when you put a group of young people together in a confined space seem to be a magnet that attracted lingering spirits to come. In any way, it was during my time there that I experienced the only physical manifestations that I’ve seen so far. The first time it happened was while I was doing my laundry very late at night in the common bathroom when I sense someone was watching me. It was about 3 o’clock in the morning so I knew that I would have heard if there was anyone else came into the room with me. I also felt a slight drop in temperature and something unseen was standing right behind me.

My heart at the time was beating to the point that it felt like it would burst out of my chest. I turned around to see if there was anyone there but found no one. I even went outside of the bathroom to see if any of my friends were trying to play a prank on me but still I found nothing. The presence that I sensed before was with me the whole time as if taunting me to find him. I knew that it was a male as I had the distinct feeling of maleness in the unseen entity. When I entered the bathroom again, the presence grew stronger to the point that I could almost feel something touching the back of my neck. I tried to ignore it but it came to the point that I began to hear soft whispering telling me that it was late and that I should go to bed. I tried again to ignore it and for awhile it stopped until I realized that I couldn’t find the soap and brush I was using to hand wash my laundry although I could swear that I put it right in front of me moments before. Things got really strange when I found out that I could not turn the water faucet open no matter how much I tried even though it was working perfectly fine when I first started my wash.

It was at that point when I finally conceded the point that this unseen entity was trying to make and decided to call it a night. As I left the bathroom, I still felt that it was following me as if to make sure that I kept my part of the bargain and only left me when I was finally drifting off to sleep. To add to the strangeness, I found the soap and clothes brush that I lost the night before under the bed when I woke the next morning. I continued to sense the same invisible personage around me off and on during the two years I was in that school. It usually comes when I was alone or feeling a bit vulnerable to something that was happening around me. Most of the time, it was a kindly visitation but there were occasions when I felt the distinct feeling of anger from it. I once told my father about it and he told me that it was part of my family heritage and that I should always trust it. There is a lot that he never explained to me about our family history and to this day he believes that I am well protected by this guardian presence.

I do still sometimes feel the distinct feeling that someone is watching over me both protecting and guiding me with unseen hands. A part of me is comforted by it and the other still curious to experience more physical manifestation. Maybe it is foolish of me to go out searching for it but in away I feel more complete if I know more about it. Until then I have only my gut feeling to prove that there is something unseen out there hovering among us.

No comments: