I wrote about going hiking with friends at Bukit Gasing back in January of this year. Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to go back and revisit the trail again since then due to other commitment. Now it seems that I may not have much longer before there will no longer be a Bukit Gasing hiking trail to come back to!
A blog reader left me a comment on that particular entry to inform me that the development work I noted earlier on my hike has already commence on the KL side of Bukit Gasing as of 27th March 2008 apparently in violation of a court order by the High Court granting Judicial Review on the matter of the development. More on this case and other information about the threat looming over Bukit Gasing can be found at their Save Bukit Gasing website which is open for public review.
From their website.
We seek your urgent support and actions as follows:
- We need the support of residents and the general public to stop this development before it is too late.
- We need financial funding to pay our lawyers and court expenses. Our long term battle includes getting a public hearing with DBKL, getting a stop work order, then proving the site is too dangerous for any development, reversing the approval for development, and finally gazetting the site as a permanent green lung.
- We also need petition support, meaning your signatures and presence in our public petitions and activities.
- We need voluntary workers to volunteer their time and effort to organize efforts to campaign our cause.
- We need resources such as information and expertise that will support our cause - engineers, geologists, experts, politicians (we already got Hee Loy Sian, Edward Lee, Sivarasa and Elizabeth Wong and Nurul, to support our cause and bring it up to higher authorities).
- We also need contacts with various organizations, bodies and societies that can help support our cause.
The group is also organizing a “Save Bukit Gasing Family Day” this weekend. Unfortunately it looks like that I would not be able to be there but it will not stop me from spreading the info about that event to those who come and read my blog. They could use all the exposure on the event that they can get.
If you like, you are more than welcomed to go and download their event poster from the Save Bukit Gasing website and put it up as an entry on your own blog. The more people know about what is happening in the Bukit Gasing area, the higher the possibility that some change will come out of this show of concern.