Thursday, December 29, 2005

Year In Review: Most Memorable PS2 Games in 2005

Spending almost 2 hours every other day playing games of my PS2 console, I must have gone through about 50 game titles this year. Out of the list of games that I’ve tried out this year, I think that the following 5 are the most memorable and exciting for me. Like the movie list yesterday, this list is by no means the best out there in the market but they are the ones that I enjoyed the most.

My most memorable PS2 games list for 2005 in no particular order are:

God of War
I normally would not really go for action adventure games but GoW was hard to resists. It had a very interesting story line and the battle system was quite easy to learn even for people like myself who have the reaction speed of a drugged sloth. It was hard to stop once you get into the game.

Lego Star Wars
This game combines two of my childhood obsession so it was an easy choice to be in this list. It was a surprisingly well designed game and it was very engaging to spend time with. What was more surprising was how addictive the game was even though none of the characters in the game had any dialogue.

Ratchet: Deadlock
If there is one constant in the PS2 gaming world, it would be the release of a new Ratchet & Clank game in every year. Unlike the previous titles, games only get to play Ratchet in this year’s release but it doesn’t mean that the game was any less fun. The game did felt a bit shorter than previous installments and left me wanting for more.

X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse
I have to say that the X-Men Legends series has to be the best PS2 game adapted from a comic book. I loved the first installment of this series and the second one they released this year was much better overall. Having more characters, more mutant powers and a whole boatload of skins to choose from made this game a fanboy’s favorite.

Digital Devil Saga
I have not actually completed this game but I have spent about 20 hours on it to date and it gets better the further in I got. This game has a fairly unusual premise that includes elements of Hinduism that I have never seen before in any game I played on the PS2. The monster encounter level in the came could be a bit on the high side compared to games of the same genre but most of the encounters were well balanced and rewarding to slog through.

The final list and blog entry for 2005 will follow soon.

No comments: