Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Year In Review : Most Memorable Movies in 2005

It’s nearing the end of 2005 which means a lot of site out there are putting out their best of the year or year in review lists. Since I don’t really have much else to write about from the rest of the week, I guess that I could start off a list of my own.

For my first list, the following is my list of the most memorable movies that I’ve watched this year at the cinema. This is not exactly my best movies of the year list but more of the movies that I still get excited about when I think about them. I don’t think that I watched enough movies this year to pick the best.

So, my picks for most memorable movies of 2005, in no particular order:

King Kong
Definitely the mother of all movies for 2005. It’s big, loud and destroys everything in it’s path – I’m talking about the movie itself not the big monkey. If you can stand to sit in a cinema for 3 hours without any toilet breaks then this is definitely one of the movies to watch in 2005.

Batman Begins
This comic book film adaptation not only revitalized the franchise but it successfully erased the shame that BatFans all over the world had to carry on their shoulders after the first appearance of the BatNipple in the last 2 Batman movies. “Batman Begins” made collecting comics cool again.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Getting better with every installments, Harry Potter film adaptations seemed to almost be something that you can depend on to come on screen every 2 years or so. While the latest film at times felt like an extended trailer for the next film, it definitely whets the appetite for more.

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith
A fitting end for an era. Everyone who grew up watching the original Star Wars now know the story how Luke’s father became Darth Vader. It is still sad to think that there would never be another Star Wars movie now that George Lucas has closed the book on this franchise. Good thing that he left the fans with a wonderful closing chapter that didn’t include any scenes with Jar Jar Binks.

Sky High
It was a fun movie to watch and a bit of a throwback to the Disney live action feature films that I loved so much as a kid. Having Kurt Russell play the adult this time around is a bit of a nod to the people who remembered him for way back when he was a wee Mousketeer. A bit of the” X-Men goes to Hogwarts” but all in all was an enjoyable movie to watch.

I hope to put up other year in review lists on other subjects soon.

No comments: