Monday, August 06, 2007

Odds and Ends

Blipvert #1

For the past week, I have been mistaken as a Nepali a total number of 3 times as I walked the road that I usually use to go to work. I guess that it might be due to the fact that there seems to be an increase of new Nepali migrant workers setting up house near my apartment. I have been mistaken for Chinese more than a few times, as a East Malaysian due to my name and as a Latino almost every other day while I was studying in the US but this is the first time that someone has mistaken me as a Nepali.

Sounds exotic but I have to wonder why.

Blipvert #2

Been reading the new Harry Potter book this past week and am really liking it. Could not read as fast as I would like to but I’m getting there. Bloodbath aside, the book really does feel like a farewell chapter of the saga. It would be interesting to see which parts of the book will get filmed and which won’t. I’ve already started to imagine how the story might be in my mind especially in this installment as most chapters lend themselves really well to being translated into screenplay. Can hardly wait to see it!

Blipvert #3

A new project was sent across the table to me this week. I don’t really have the lead the project this time but I do need to be the lead subject matter expert for the project. The thing is that the project involves something that I have never even worked on before much less be a subject matter expert of. I guess it would be a challenge for me to pickup the necessary skills to lead the implementation team but I try to think of myself as willing to raise the occasion come what may. Better to try and fail so I can learn from my mistakes than to not try at all.

The project will be based in Cyberjaya, though. Trying to get there on time for meetings would be a b*tch and would be even worse if I need to be stationed there for any extended periods of time. It’s times like this that I wished that I had taken that driving license.

Blipvert #4

I was watching an episode of “How I Met Your Mother” on Astro (I’ve got time!) last week and ended up sobbing my eyes out at the end of the episode.

It was the one about the lead character meeting someone at a wedding party and they decided to just hookup without any obligations to meeting up later or even give each other their names. At first I was thinking that it was a good story point .. never seen done before so it sounded fresh. I don’t know if it was because of the Ray Charles song they played at the end or if it was because the sentiments resonated loudly within me but I ended up trying to stop the brimming tears in my eyes.

I do cry at movies and if it was an extra special episode that someone dies on TV but this has to be the first time I ever cried while watching a silly sitcom show.

Till today I am still left wondering what was that all about.

Blipvert #5

Looking forward to my alumni grand dinner this coming Thursday night. Our school is celebrating our 50th anniversary along with 2 other boarding schools so the dinner would be for ex-students for all 3 schools. I’ve paid up for my portion of the table and even borrowed my dad’s batik shirt to wear to the dinner since I already wore all my batik shirts in other alumni functions. Since the dinner would be in Putrajaya, I had to make arrangement to get a ride from one of my friends who would also be attending the dinner. If all goes well, I should all set for the dinner but nobody knows if anything will crop up at the last minute.

Looking forward for it actually to catch up with all friends. I wonder if my old girlfriend from our sister boarding school would turn up. That would be a surprise!.

Blipvert #6

I am actually writing this blog entry at the OldTown Kopitiam café in Cyberjaya after my project meeting. This is the first time I have been in this neck of the wood and I have expected it to me more impressive than this. I guess that I was expecting too much and that the area has not been fully developed yet.

I wonder if the place does grow on you once you start to work here.

Blipvert #7

I have a sinking feeling that I have been making someone I know unhappy lately. It’s not that I have been purposely ignoring that person but sometimes I just feel like I don’t have enough hours in the day to put into the effort of keeping in touch. That doesn’t excuse the way that I have been treating that person so I do really feel that I’m at fault here. If it is any consolation, there is not a day goes by that I don’t listen to our song and think of the person.

Out of sight doesn’t necessarily mean out of mind.

No comments: