Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Workout Progress - July '07

So much for keeping track .. huh.

I guess I lapsed a bit in my workout plan during May & June. I still did my 4 – 6 times a week hourly bicep curls and triceps extension exercises on the body lift machine but it seemed more play than serious body conditioning. Given that May was the first time that I started with the new resistance level (doubled from the previous levels), I had cut the number of sets I did to half of what I normally did on the old resistance level. The plan was that I would gradually work up to the old levels in June.

Between trips, work and things that happened in June, I really slacked off in my workouts. The worst thing was that I was fully aware of myself slacking off! I told myself that I’ve gone too far to waste my effort by taking it too easy so I decide to amp up my commitment to the exercise in July. Thankfully, I have been able to stick to a 5 days on, 2 days rest of 1 hour moderate exercise of 5 set consisting of 20 reps bicep curls and 20 reps triceps extensions in July.

Result wise looks encouraging. I’ve managed to bring to my BP from a high of 196/115 down to 145/95 (which incidentally was one of my major reasons for embarking on this journey) after 7 months of semi-consistent exercise and the diet plan. Lost a few inches from the waist which necessitate a new belt hole on my belt because I was too cheap to buy an new belt. Physically wise, I can see some definition happening in the shoulders and arms cause they are the only parts that I could work on with my current body lift equipment. They are nowhere near the shadow of size that I would like them to be but it’s a start. Chest is looking better than before and at least the man-boobs seem to be shrinking (yay me!). Still light-years to go before I actually develop anything near to be called pecs. Abs … better not talk about them!

Diet plan in July :

Breakfast (8 am)
- 2 piece of lightly toasted Gardenia Breakthru bread (1 with margarine, 1 with jam)
- 1 cup fat free yogurt
Brunch (10 am)
- 1/2 serving of plan fried rice with tempeh goreng or greens
- 1 hardboiled egg (alternate working days – 2 whole eggs total per week)
Lunch (12 pm)
- 1 Spirulina cereal 3 in 1 mix.
Snacks (4 pm)
- 1 Nature Valley Roasted Almond Granola bar
- Japanese Green Tea
Dinner (7 pm)
- buy something roughly less than 300kcal (usually either 3 pieces of kuih, plain tosai, bread or the like)

Workout Days (M/T/T/F/Sun: 7 – 8 pm)
- tomato juice immediately after workout
- protein shake 1 hr after workout as dinner

Supplements :
Balance Liquid L-Carnitine – 10ml per day
EAS Creatine Powder – 10mg per day
EAS Myoplex Deluxe Protein Shake – ½ serving post workout
21st Century’s HerbalLipo Tea – 1 serving per week day
GNC L-Lysine – 1 tablet per day
GNC MegaMen Dietary Supplement – 1 tablet per day

I believe that I’ve somewhat have became accustomed to the current plan and diet even though there have been days that I just want to gorge out. The way I see it, as long as I am aware of how much I take in and balance it out with the other meals that I take afterwards, I’m still able to stay on the good side in the balance sheet. Sticking to moderation is always been my motto in life and it should not be any different in my workout plan. I’m looking forward for the opening of the gym that I signed up for sometime towards the end of Aug at Sunway Pyramid. I’ve already signed up to work with a personal trainer twice a week for 3 months when I start there so hopefully with better equipment, workout tips, monitoring and motivation, I would be able to make much larger gains.

At least enough gains for me to feel better about myself when I look at my own reflection in the mirror.

No comments: